Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I miss "back when"....

I dont know when it happened, but somehow it did. I was trying to push through the crowd of people at Cutter's and i heard someone say, "it's only 1:30." It occured to me that only two nights earlier at 1:30 I was shocked to see the SLC so packed out...and it was exam week. But there I was in a bar at 1:30 and not a bit surprised to see so many people. uhhh sad, i thought to myself.
although there has never been a time in athens when i could walk through a bar taking more than 6 consecutive steps without stopping, there was a time when it was so new it never occured to me to mind. i miss back when....when going out was to hopefully see people i hadn't seen in a while. Now i see the same people out at least 2 nights a week. I miss the time when I thought my wardrobe was out of control because my lifestyle never required that i dress up more than once a week. Now I say i have no clothes and my friend Kelly Sinquefield says, "you have tons of clothes...you just get dressed up 4 or 5 nights a week." She's right. There was a time when it was acceptable for me to go to Bourbon street, therefore taking full advantage of Power Hour. Now it costs me a good 20 dollars to get a buzz downtown. I miss the time when it was all new.
The only good thing about downtown last night, other than Ashlee getting turned down at Nowhere because her cheekbones didn't resemble her i.d.'s closely enough, was watching Benton Johnson dance to #1 stunna. But even then I thought, aww sad. I used to sing in church choir with that kid.
I'm told that this summer is "completely different." and all i can say is it better be, or i wont be gracing downtown with my presence for a while. Summer couldn't have come at a better time. I want to be able to walk through a bar, even run if i want to. I plan on wearing tank tops and jeans every time i go out, and i plan on getting drink specials because the crowd is small and i'm such a good customer (the closest i ever got to getting the hook- up at Cutter's was some money from the bartender to play photohunt...whatever).
the point is...come fall I want to walk through a bar and not care if it's crowded, see faces i haven't seen in so long, and look through my closet and think, "Where did all of these clothes come from? It will take me hours to decide what to wear tonight..."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have sworn I already posted to this. I think your article should be retitled, "back before I was an alcoholic"
gee, you don't seem to "racked with guilt" over the fact that it's been almost a week since your last blog. get it together. I know it's summer, but your audience needs you. When are you coming to DC? I need dets.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home