Monday, March 27, 2006

random thought #2

I guess it's more a question, than a thought really. But, do you tip when you go to pick up take-out? I used to tip. Like a dollar or something. I never really thought about it, i just did it... mainly because there is that awkwardness that exists when a waiter brings you your food and receipt and waits there while you sign it. But, this one time a friend and I were picking up some food from Utage. We waited in line behind a girl who was also picking up some sushi for her sister who had just had a baby. Both of us got our food and receipts at the same time, so we ended up walking out together. As we were leaving she turned around to ask us if we tipped. I wasn't the one who signed the receipt, but I assumed we did. Before I could tell her yes, my friend said, "uhhh, no. I dont tip on take-out" The girl was relieved, because she said she didn't either (and her bill was 95 dollars--seriously).

So, from that day on I stopped tipping take-out people. But, I'm starting to get these rude looks from my friends at On The Border and I think the girl at Utage is about to be over me. I always rationalize my lack of tipping by saying that they really didn't do anything, I mean they bagged up the food the chef made and ran my credit card. That doesn't exactly warrant a tip. But, then I think well what if this is what they do all day? Just give take-out orders. Noone leaves a tip, and I mean afterall, they bag your food up and run your credit card receipt. Maybe I should at least give them a dollar. Anyway, the point is that i'm torn and need feedback (I pick up food at least 3 times a week). To tip or not to tip, that's the question.

1 Comments:

Blogger kbd said...

I have this very same problem. I used to tip on take out as well. But I am the one getting up and driving to pick up my food. They are not delivering it. I am doing all the work-- so no, hold strong. Don't tip!! (only on take out of course)

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home