Wednesday, June 08, 2005

jesse's girl

I was watching TRL Monday and I noticed something funny (even funnier than me watching TRL). When Jesse MCartney was giving his live performance of his new song, "She's No You," it dawned on me that all two of the songs I know by him have a recurring theme. In "Beautiful Soul" he sings the lyrics: "I dont want another pretty face/ I dont want just anyone to hold/I dont want my love to go to waste/ I want you and your beautiful soul." Now, at first I thought how sweet of him. He's able to look past outward appearance, and instead find someone with great inner beauty. That's certainly praise-worthy. However, his song "She's No You" changed my perspective on the situation. In this song he sings, "She’s no you/Oh No you give me more than I could ever want/She’s no you, girl I’m satisfied with the one I got/...She's only a picture in a magazine/...She might be a supermodel, but she'll never take my heart away."

Immediately I laughed and remembered a conversation I had with a friend a few months ago:
Emily: I mean, he has a really good personality.
Me: Oh, well I've never seen him...is he cute?
Emily: He is really nice.
Me: What does he look like?
Emily: And he's funny.

While I may sound superficial in the above conversation (i'm not, i've been quoted many times saying If a guy doesn't make me laugh, i dont care what he looks like), the truth is that a lot of people ( this might look better than "everyone" on the record) want to hear about a person's appearance. And when that question is asked (or any question about a person for that matter) and the immediate response is about personality, one can only think the appearance is at the lower end of the list.

So, I dont want anyone to misunderstand me, I actually think it's more important to have someone who can make you smile, who understands you, who cares deeply for you, who will help you...you know the saying, "looks fade with age..." I just find it funny when people avoid the appearance question with response about personality. I mean why not say he's not that cute, but he's hilarious. or he's not the hottest thing, but he's really smart.... This rarely happens, and until it does i will always laugh when i hear "he's really sweet..." after i asked how tall he is.

So, back to Jesse. It's great that the kid is into personality, but after hearing his first two singles i can only believe one thing: his girlfriend may be a saint, but she isn't much of a looker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home