Friday, July 29, 2005

it's the end of an era...

This was the scene in General's last night, approximately 1:30 a.m:

I walk (read: strut) into the bar with my friends and head straight to the bar to get a drink. Before i get there I am approached by a handsome young boy. Fabulous, i'm thinking. Just in time to buy me a drink before i waste my own money. I usually dont let strangers buy me a drink. I'm not one of those scared-they'll-slip-a-roofie-in-it girls, I just dont want to be obligated to talk to someone because they bought me a drink. However, I just got back from a week in D.C and NYC,it's the end of the month, and I have bills to pay still, so if he's buying i'm not complaining. He introduced himself and then came the usual random bar talk (which I decided is not unlike the conversations we all have on round one of rush). He asked me my name, where i was from, if i was taking summer classes and then what year I was. I told him i was a senior and this was his response:

random "i have no game" bar boy: Oh...you're a senior? Hhhmmm, I'm going to be a sophomore, you're way too old for me. I'll talk to you later.

I stood there alone for a good 5 minutes and thought about what just happened. Did I really just get turned down for being too old? Did I really just get turned down by a younger guy? Did I really just get turned down? I had half a mind to chase after him and tell him I didn't know why he was there anyway, it was obviously past his bedtime. Then i decided that's only cool to say when you're like 12, and besides that I was a senior...in college. I was obviously supposed to be mature and uninterested in younger boys. Another part of me wanted to run after him and tell him that I actually like younger boys, just ask my friends about The Fresh. And then, I reached a real low point and thought of running after him to say well i mean i'm not technically a senior, ya know? I'm at least 6 hours away from that title. I know i'm sounding desperate, but I was broke and single. Two things that made his comment more irritating than it would have otherwise been.

However, I decided not to follow through with any of my brilliant ideas. Instead, I put on my big girl panties and headed back to the bar. Luckily for me the owner was bartending and I had met him a few nights earlier. He told me the drink was on him. He is at the least 25.

1 Comments:

Blogger kbd said...

Hey-- did you meet Daniel? Please tell him I said hello... he was one of my favorite things about Athens.... being a senior does make you feel old.... wait til school starts. But I promise being out of college and coming back... it's a whole new feeling of old. At least we will look college age until we're 30.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home